Election Day has come and gone, but that doesn’t mean people are done making campaign promises. Everywhere you turn, businesses are making you promises, pleading with you to choose them over their competitors because they’re cheaper, more efficient, or based in the U.S.A.
Some of those reasons may be valid, but what really matters to you most of all is whether or not the job gets done, and nowhere does that apply more than in your plumbing system. Think of your house’s plumbing like the veins in your body; without adequate delivery of water to nearly every room in your house, everything falls apart. Let one of those pipes go bad, and it can be catastrophic.
For that reason, you need to make sure everybody that works on your plumbing system is up to snuff. We hear horror stories all the time about homeowners who have contracted with one plumber to work on their system, only to find that who actually worked on it was a subcontractor that was completely unfamiliar with their style of house. Or it was a big box franchise plumber that had the necessary certifications to pass muster, but not as much experience in dealing with local issues.
At Fountain Plumbing, we pride ourselves on being your local, trusted plumber that has experience in the types of houses unique to East Texas. We would love the opportunity to solve your plumbing issues, but we also understand that you want to look around a little first. No problem, but when you shop, we would encourage you to ask them a few simple questions:
- Are You Licensed? Not every state requires plumbers to be licensed in their state (such as New York and Kansas), but Texas does, so before you allow a plumber to set foot on your property, ask them if they’re licensed and if that license is current. Every plumber that works for Fountain Plumbing is; not only that, but we are also registered with the Better Business Bureau, Lindale Chamber of Commerce, Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractor’s Association, and the National Federation of Independent Businesses.
- Are You Insured? If a plumber breaks their arm while repairing your upstairs water pipe, do you know who’s responsible? If you think it’s the business, you’re right – as long as they’re insured. If not, you could be on the hook for medical bills and a host of other expenses you never considered when you contracted them to fix your sink, whether you realize it or not. Ask.
- How Long Have You Been in Business? Though we have nothing against new plumbers setting up shop, there are several lessons that only come from experience, and the ability to predict and plan for certain occurrences can impact your bill. Our Founder, Kevin Fountain, is a second-generation plumber. He started working for his grandfather’s shop in 1976 and went on to start his own in 1999. Other team members have decades of experience also. There’s very little we haven’t seen.
- Do You Have References? Most plumbers don’t carry around a binder with pictures of their work (but they might, so ask!), but chances are if they’ve been in business for any period of time, they have a list of happy clients. Ask to see reviews from legitimate customers or phone numbers of other clients that they have that would recommend them. Either way, asking for real-world experiences is the best way to find out what you’re in for.
- What’s Your Price? A reputable plumber won’t be able to give you a full estimate until they’ve visited the site itself unless it’s a problem that they’re familiar with, which happens often. As a customer, you deserve to know what you can expect to pay for the specific job you’re contracting a plumber for, rather than be blindsided by a 100-300% jump for an issue they should’ve disclosed. The best plumber is one you can trust.
For nearly 20 years, Fountain Plumbing has been the gold standard for plumbing services in the Lindale/Tyler area, for both commercial and residential projects. We not only ask, but expect, you to ask as many questions as necessary to give you peace of mind for your next project. Feel free to call us at (903) 566-5325 and fire away!